By Kris L. Maser
Divorced Spouse Benefits:?
• The ex-spouse must have applied for benefits.?
• The spouse must be at least 62 for reduced benefits or 66 for full benefits.?
• The marriage lasted for 10 years or more.
• The person receiving the divorced-spouse benefit is currently not married.
• Also note that more than one ex-spouse can receive benefits on the same worker’s record.
• Benefits paid to one ex-spouse do not affect those paid to the worker, the current spouse or other ex-spouses.
• The worker will NOT be notified that the ex-spouse has applied for benefits.
• The divorced-spouse benefits stop upon remarriage.?